Fire at Orly Airport
1. On December 3, 1973, a destroying fire occurred at Orly- South Airport (Paris). The fire started just before 3.00 p.m. in the second basement. Unsealed shafts allowed the fire to spread horizontally to a bar- room and vertically to control rooms on the ground storey.
2. On reaching the ground storey the fire destroyed all the equipment in the control rooms and caused serious damage to the metal framework of the floor above these areas. This resulted in distortion of the walls and floors, which allowed the gases and probably flames to pass directly up to the first storey.
3. The Переведите текст на русский язык, обращая внимание на перевод пожарно-технических терминов. contents of the book shop, customs and post office on the first storey helped to intensify the fire which then spread horizontally. Furthermore, a non-enclosed staircase ascending from the first to the fourth storey allowed the fire to spread rapidly to the higher storeys - due chiefly to a cavity about 10 centimeters wide between a timber lining and the wall which acted as a flue for the hot gases.
4. The central group of escalators allowed large quantities of hot gases to reach the fourth storey by another route. Above the escalators heat set fire to the plastic tiles of the false Переведите текст на русский язык, обращая внимание на перевод пожарно-технических терминов. ceiling. The burning tiles falling from the ceiling increased the firefighters' difficulties. Finally the fire reached the cinema hall on the fifth storey via an unclosed staircase.
5. The fire brigade arrived very quickly following the alarm which was given by the fire detection system. It was only at about 8.00 p.m. and after 5 hours of firefighting under extremely difficult conditions that the firemen managed to control the fire.Very difficult conditions were caused by poor visibility because of vast amount of smoke and the need to work with breathing apparatus.
6. Damage caused directly by the fire covered a surface Переведите текст на русский язык, обращая внимание на перевод пожарно-технических терминов. area of about 6000 m2. In addition, 300 m2 were damaged chiefly by smoke. Fortunately, there were no casualties.
7. Ответьте на вопросы:
а) Where did the fire start?.
б) What helped to intensify the fire on the first storey?
в) What were difficult conditions caused by?
г) What damage caused directly by the fire?